• Skins Season 6

  • Skins Season 5

  • Generation 1

  • Generation 2

  • Interviews/Shoots

  • Skins Actors News

  • Skins Movie

Fat Segal - interview and theme download


Here is an interview with FatSegal about the new theme of Skins 5. You can listen to the theme bellow, or download it here.

 

E4: First things first – where’s it gone? Don’t pretend you don’t know what we are talking about…


Segal: There comes a time in a relationship where you both realise the spark is gone and its time to go your separate ways. One day I'll bump in to that glockenspiel in a restaurant. At first it'll be awkward, but we'll reminisce. She'll look well, better than I remembered. I'll feel sad.


E4: X_sweety-girl_X on the e4.com site says “the music gone different =/”: is X_sweety-girl_X right? …


Segal: I would say X_sweety-girl_X has some properly functioning ears. I would go as far as to congratulate her on both of them. Probably a 40 year old bloke though with a name like that.


E4: Put on your NME hat for a minute – if you had to compare the new titles to another current artist, who’d it be?


Segal: If I had an NME hat I'd do a shit in it.


E4: Nice. What comes first, writing music for individual episodes or the theme tune?


Segal: I suppose it has changed over time. At first definitely the theme music, but now I feel I have more of a musical investment in the show. Every track I ever write is as important to me as the last.


Sorry I feel we got off on the wrong foot. I'm going to markedly change my tone for the remainder of the interview.


E4: How much of the characters and the series do you see before you get started on the titles?


Segal: A bit. I see scripts and talk to people. I have a couple of my best friends working on that show so I always know what's going on. In the first few series I was coming to writers meetings and all sorts; recently I'm left to my own devices more. Maybe they trust me now. Maybe they are just sick of the sight of me. Never thought of it like that before.


Skins Theme 5 by Segal


E4: What can we expect from your music from series 5 – more of the same?


Segal: Pay the man, Shirley.


E4: This must be an exciting time of year for you – nearly time for new Skins AND the darts is on the tele: which is better?


Segal: Excellent question. I got very excited today when I realised that Martin Adams was commentating at the Lakeside. I shouted 'Oh Look at Sharon!!!'. I'd like to collaborate with Martin Adams, I'm not even kidding. I want him to sing on my tunes.


I was playing darts yesterday actually and I noticed that my flights are quite badly damaged. I've had them for ages and I'm quite sad about the whole thing; they had the logo of my favourite pub in Lincoln on them. If anyone wants to donate any flights to me that'd be fine, please send them to E4 (E4: don’t please).


I once made a kick drum out of the sound of darts hitting the board at the Lakeside. Next time darts is on TV crank it up; the low end in there will make you want to gurn primevally. Something about that room man. I wish I had a room like that to record in. I'd make records like Scott Walker. I've got the shittest reverb box in the world. I live quite a solitary existence.


E4: A little Jamie Brittain shaped birdie told me about a collaboration between you and him… true? What is it? Where can we see it?


Segal: That is true. Our band is called 'Let's Fuck'… as in sex.


Jamie has so many synths and boxes, I love working with him because he will try anything. We just improvise and that’s the track. A lot of it is accidental. The Aesthetics of Failure. That should be our album title.


Making music is how we became friends really so it makes sense that we'd get back to it eventually. I keep trying to convince him to make a Beowulf concept album with me. He agrees but in that kind of 'brushing it off' kinda way. I want him to rap in Anglo-Saxon.


The only solo track he ever made is a masterpiece. It has the strangest bassline I've ever heard. He just made this one track and kinda retired from making music alone. I think I'm the only person in the world besides him that has heard it.


E4: Any other side projects we should know about?


Segal: Another mate of mine, we send each other 30 second clips, see if we can get that vom gag reflex going. You know ,that flow of saliva before you are sick? And the dread.


E4: What does the future hold for Segal? Any releases on the horizon?


Segal: Yep I'm in the process of making an album. I thought it was about time to do a full length release after doing a few EPs ('Clutch EP' and 'Tenthousand Needles', both available on iTunes). I've got a load of tracks sat in front of me; I'm still trying to work out how it all fits together. I'd say I'm probably 60% done. I am aiming to get it out this year. It is loosely based on the Lincolnshire Fens. Maybe I should look for a label. I need someone to promote my stuff.


To recap, then, that’s a) darts flights and b) good labels/promoters.


Before that I might put a couple of tracks out, a little taster.


E4: Finally, can you share some tips for any new producers/musicians? How do you get your music heard when there’s loads of other stuff knocking around the trusty internet?


Segal: That’s a difficult one. I actually believe that most music in the world is undiscovered. Statistically it makes sense, although the proliferation of the internet will hopefully help to expose more and more artists. I read this interview with Brian Eno, he was saying that what will age the music we write today when we look back in hindsight is its 'blockiness', the rigid metronymic pulse of the computer sequencer. He speculates that someone will do for the computer what Hendrix did for the guitar. He's a smart guy.


You know when DJ Pierre picked up a 303 and started making acid house on it, that was all wrong. The thing was designed to simulate bass guitar. But it was terrible at it. There was a limitation, and the limitation was subverted. The result? Great music, something totally new. And lots of people ask me what gear I use, its one of the most common messages I get. I think a lot of kids think if they get better sequencers/kit their music will get better. I use very basic tools to create my tracks, it keeps me focused. So my tip would be; embrace limitation. It will force your creative hand.


Most of all have confidence in your ideas. Remember the notion of universally 'good' and 'bad' music is a fallacy invented by elitist hipster dickbags who never wrote a tune in their life. The individual is king. Ask ONLY yourself 'Do I like this track?' If the honest answer is yes, then your music is a success. Congratulate yourself and have a beer.

Share On Facebook ! Share On Google Buzz ! Add To Del.icio.us ! Share On Digg ! Share On Reddit ! Share On LinkedIn ! Post To Blogger ! Share On StumbleUpon ! Share On Friend Feed ! Share On MySpace ! Share On Yahoo Buzz ! Get These Share Buttons ! Share On Google Reader ! Google Bookmark ! Send An Email ! Blog Feed !

edit post

Labels: , , , , ,

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs428.ash2/71136_74674523093_7108076_q.jpg

About SkinsFansite

Hey guys, we´re so glad that you are here sharing your love for Skins. SkinsFansite is a project of Ana and João and we are very thankful for all of your support and love so far. SkinsFansite started in 2009 and is our wish to keep going for much more years. Our favourite generation is the first one and our favourite charaters are Cassie (Ana) and Chris (João). Keep visiting us and feel free to ask anything you want to our email contact@skinsfansite.com or to our Twitter username SkinsFansite. XXX