• Skins Season 6

  • Skins Season 5

  • Generation 1

  • Generation 2

  • Interviews/Shoots

  • Skins Actors News

  • Skins Movie

Writing episode 1 of Skins - Jamie Brittain

Read this little diary writen by Jamie Brittain, where he says how it was to write the episode of "Thomas", the very first one of Skins season 4.
Jamie Brittain – Writer of Episode 1

When myself, Lucy Kirkwood, Ben Schiffer and Neil Duncan went away to a hotel near Newmarket in the winter of 2008 to come up with series 4 of Skins, we had no idea what we were going to propose. We found that despite series 3 ending on a definite note for some characters, an ambiguous note for others, we had reached a point where we could literally take them anywhere.

So when we started talking about how the new series might start, we entertained, discussed and abandoned many, many scenarios. Weddings, festivals, road trips. All were discussed, all were thrown out. But one idea that emerged, the idea of a death opening the series seemed perfect – landing smack back in our laps and issuing a challenge. But we decided it should be a previously unseen character. These anonymous deaths seem to affect many youngsters (including myself) at some point.

I knew I wanted to write about Thomas, and wanted to write about him early in the series. We felt the character was slightly underused in series 3 and wanted to rectify that. We put the two things together. Thomas would be ep 1.

When I started to write the episode itself, I simply began writing with little idea where I was going. I wrote many drafts, very different from each other. All explored ideas of faith and identity. None satisfied me, or the execs, or the script editor, but we couldn’t work out why.

Then we did work it out. I was having trouble ‘feeling’ the ep – relating to it. Previous episodes I’ve written – this sounds like an awful cliché but it’s the best way of saying it– came from the heart

(you can read that as ‘balls’ if you want to be less sentimental). They were all cathartic processes about stuff that was going on in my life. With this script, I found myself more balanced and optimistic than ever before, but this, annoyingly, had stolen some of my mojo.

Thomas is a black, 17 year old Christian African. I’m a 24 year old, white, middle class Atheist. It would be hard for us to be more different. This was another problem. So I started to think about what we had in common. We’re both from fragmented origins, unsure of the location of our home. We both struggle to see the amazing things life has provided for us. We both have trouble with trust, and faith, and authority. From then on I started to build a story that I, and hopefully the fans, would care about and enjoy.

I have been accused by some of writing scripts that are too conceptual – scripts driven by my own warped interpretations of psychological or philosophical theories. You might have noticed that last year, my script (Cook) kicked against this, attempting to be a visceral, hedonistic non-stop teenage rampage with little time to stop and think. This time I hoped to do a more classic ‘Skins’ ep – emotional, funny, complex. And I realized my key was Pandora. A favourite character of mine (and the actress who plays her, Lisa – a favourite person), she commands the love and respect of many, by her fellow characters and by the fans. It was upon the tension between her and Thomas, and their eventual break up that I could hang the emotional crux of the episode, empowering and justifying the discussion about faith and identity that characterises it and ultimately leads to the break up itself. When I worked out that, the ep came alive in my hands.

One of the fun things about the episode is that I got to introduce a new recurring adult character. We knew we wanted a new college director. I knew I wanted Chris Addison to play him – if you don’t know his work on radio and TV I suggest you Google him right now. I’d met Chris at the British Comedy Awards last year, and, though I was starstruck I managed to ask him if he was interested. He said he was – he’d enjoyed his ‘Thick Of It’ co-star Peter Capaldi’s work (Sid’s Dad) and fancied a bit himself. So all was set.

But what to call him? He needed a good name. I mulled it over for hours and finally decided – David Blood. Now, if I’m proud of anything in my career, it’s coming up with that name. Doesn’t the character just come alive when you hear it? Maybe I’m the only one who sees my true genius here.

I hope you enjoyed the episode. It would be lying to say I enjoyed writing it – writing is never really much fun – but I’m proud of it and hope you think we are continuing to do the show and characters justice. And if you think my ep was intense, just wait for next week’s. That’s right…it’s time for Naomily, and we’re just warming up.

Share On Facebook ! Share On Google Buzz ! Add To Del.icio.us ! Share On Digg ! Share On Reddit ! Share On LinkedIn ! Post To Blogger ! Share On StumbleUpon ! Share On Friend Feed ! Share On MySpace ! Share On Yahoo Buzz ! Get These Share Buttons ! Share On Google Reader ! Google Bookmark ! Send An Email ! Blog Feed !

edit post

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs428.ash2/71136_74674523093_7108076_q.jpg

About SkinsFansite

Hey guys, we´re so glad that you are here sharing your love for Skins. SkinsFansite is a project of Ana and João and we are very thankful for all of your support and love so far. SkinsFansite started in 2009 and is our wish to keep going for much more years. Our favourite generation is the first one and our favourite charaters are Cassie (Ana) and Chris (João). Keep visiting us and feel free to ask anything you want to our email contact@skinsfansite.com or to our Twitter username SkinsFansite. XXX